Joel Pruett focuses his practice in the areas of banking and finance, real estate, and business transactions. Mr. Pruett regularly represents banks and financial institutions in commercial lending transactions, as well as developers and investors in commercial real estate transactions. In addition, he represents clients in loan restructurings, workouts, and foreclosures.
- Banking and finance
- Real estate
- Business entities
- B.S. in Secondary Education in English and Journalism from Kansas State University, summa cum laude, 2011
- M.B.A. in Finance and in Risk Management from The University of Oklahoma, Price College of Business, 2016
- J.D. with a Certificate in Business Entrepreneurship from The University of Oklahoma College of Law, with honors, 2016
Awards and Recognitions
- Received CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Securities Regulation, transferred from Oklahoma City University School of Law
- Received the American Indian Law Review Outstanding Editor Award
- Received the Salem Civil Rights Award for a law review article on the relationship between tribal civil jurisdiction over non-tribal parties and the availability of and cost of capital to tribal parties
- Received the Durrell Public Law Research Award for an unpublished book on the legislative history and statutory interpretation of the Oklahoma General Corporation Act
- Member of Phi Delta Phi, a legal honor society
Publications, Articles and Presentations
- “The Ghosts of Corporate Law Past: Exorcising Hostility, Ambiguity, and Caprice via Canons of Construction,” unpublished working paper.
- “Nothing Personal (Or Subject Matter) About It: Jurisdictional Risk as an Impetus for Non-Tribal Opt-Outs from Tribal Economies, and the Need for Administrative Response,” 40 Am. Indian L. Rev. 131 (2016).
- Contributing author to “Report on the Republic of Suriname for the Twenty-Fifth Session of the Universal Periodic Review Working Group of the United Nations Human Rights Council,” University of Oklahoma College of Law International Human Rights Clinic (April 2016), Download PDF.
- “Penn Square Bank, the Oil Bust, and the Corporate Law Revival: Commodities-Based Crises as Inspiration for the Oklahoma General Corporation Act,” Address before the Oklahoma City Mineral Lawyers Society (April 21, 2016).
Legal Associations, Professional Affiliations, and Community Leadership
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, 2017 Leadership Class
- State Bar of Texas, Business Law Section, Mergers & Acquisitions Committee
- OU Club of Dallas
Previous Professional Experience
- HSSK, LLC; Business Valuation and Litigation Consulting Associate; Sept. 2016 - July 2018